First Financial will award up to twelve (12) $500 non-renewable scholarships.
In addition, applicants must have:
1) a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA (Grade Point Average) to be submitted on
a) an official high school semester transcript (if graduating high school in 2018) or
b) an official college transcript (if currently enrolled in college), and
2) SAT and/or ACT score(s), submitted on official documentation (graduating high school seniors only).
Graduating High School Seniors and Current College Students:
- Must be a First Financial member in good standing* or meet membership eligibility requirements and join the credit union prior to submitting a Scholarship application form;
- Must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must complete and sign an official Scholarship application form;
- Must submit a typed essay relating to the topic(s) indicated on the Scholarship application form.
Graduating High School Seniors Only:
- Must be accepted as an incoming freshman at an accredited College, University, Community College,Trade School or Technical School;
- Must submit an official high school transcript;
- Must submit SAT and/or ACT score(s);
- Must submit a copy of the Letter of Acceptance from an accredited College, University, Community College,
Trade School or Technical School of choice;
- Must submit two Letters of Recommendation from a teacher, principal or counselor (excluding immediate family and/or relatives).
Current College Students Only:
- Must be currently enrolled at an accredited College, University, Community College, Trade School or
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student;
- Must submit an official college transcript;
- Must submit proof of current enrollment in an accredited College, University, Community College, Trade School or Technical School;
- Must submit two Letters of Recommendation from a professor or academic advisor (excluding immediate family and/or relatives).
Any falsification of the Scholarship application or attachment(s) will cause the applicant to become ineligible for Scholarship consideration. Scholarship recipients must maintain their membership with First
Financial throughout the award period.
Your Application will not be considered under the following conditions:
- Entry is postmarked after deadline and/or no postmarked date;
- Entry is received in a letter-size envelope (must submit entry unstapled in a flat 9” x 12” envelope)
- Faxes will not be accepted; and/or
- Application packet is incomplete and/or you do not follow the rules (including not having a postmarked date; no applications will be considered if they are delivered to a First Financial branch or the Corporate office).
Judging will be conducted by a panel of impartial judges selected by First Financial’s Board of Directors and/or their designees.
Applications will be judged on several categories, including:
- SAT and/or ACT composite score(s)
- Extracurricular activities
- Essay question response (including spelling, grammar, clarity, punctuation and meaningful content)
The top 12 scores will receive a First Financial Credit Union $500 Scholarship.
Award Notification and Disbursement
Recipients will be notified by mail (or phone call) to their permanent address by March 31, 2018. In addition, notification will be sent to the school’s guidance counselor/academic advisor. Funds will be deposited into the recipient’s First Financial share (savings) accounts.
How to Apply
Please submit complete application and supporting documents to:
- Via mail (unstapled) in a 9” x 12” envelope to:
2018 Scholarship Program
First Financial Credit Union
P.O. Box 90
West Covina, CA 91793
Applications will not be considered if they are faxed or dropped off at a First Financial branch and/or the Corporate office.
Must be received (electronically or physically) by Friday, March 31, 2018.
All decisions are final and at the sole discretion of the First Financial Selection Committee. Only recipients will be notified. All information provided as part of this application will be kept in complete confidence. Scholarship winners may use Scholarship funds to defray the cost of tuition, room and board, and/or books and supplies. Funds will be deposited into the recipient’s First Financial share (savings) account. Applications, essays and references become the property of First Financial Credit Union. We reserve the right to use the recipient’s name, photo and excerpts of any essay or attachments in promotional material and official applications. *Relatives of First Financial employees and volunteers are not eligible.